Happy New Year! This is the time of year when we reflect on the previous year, determine what parts we were happy with, and what we would like to change in the coming year. But the problem with new year’s resolutions is that the vast majority of people have good intentions, but get sidetracked along the way. Life gets in the way. At least that’s what seems to happen to me every year!
But for me, this year will be different! I recently heard a segment on my favorite radio station, Spirit FM 90.5, with Dr. Lori Puterbaugh from BalancedLifestyleCoaching.com regarding this very subject. She said the key to keeping your resolutions is to start out small, and then reevaluate your goals and progress throughout the year. And that’s exactly what I intend to do.
For Christmas, my wonderful husband gave me a Fitbit Flex to help me start tracking my activity. It is a great motivation, because you really get to see how much, or how little, you are doing in a day. It defaults to make your daily step goal 10,000 steps (though you can change it), and I couldn’t believe how hard it was to get that many steps in. I also couldn’t believe how few steps I take in an average work day! Talk about motivation! To make it even better, you can add your friends and then challenge them to see who can take the most steps in a day, weekend, work week, etc. I have a ways to go, but I have already started upping my number of steps in a day, and I can feel my progress already!
We plan on reevaluating each of these goals at the end of each month, and adjusting them as needed. So, without further ado, here are our family’s new years resolutions.
1. Work day step goal of 6,000/Weekend day step goal of 8,000 steps
2. Tracking food, water, and sleep to make sure I am staying healthy
3. Stairs 5 minutes per day, adding 2 minutes each week
4. 1 blog post per week <— this may be the hardest, time is not easy to come by these days!!
5. Do the 52 Week Money Challenge (more on this next week!)
1. Try 1 new recipe per week (once a month from his Masterchef cookbook)
2. Do the 52 Week Money Challenge
4. Weekly Date Night